Marlin is building an open networking infrastructure for anonymous, high performance decentralized applications. Amongst several applications is a block and transaction relay network that can enable blockchains achieve 500x higher throughput and 100ms latencies while consuming significantly lower bandwidth.
Problems & Solutions
Networks form the backbone of all peer-to-peer systems as hosts communicate with one another via the Internet. Enterprises have long recognized the importance of networks in improving user experience and productivity. As a result, a variety of techniques including the use of private lines,CDNs and SD-WANs have been developed to provide better networking. Blockchains, however, rely on the public internet which is generally modeled as an asynchronous, best effort communication system, in which guarantees of reliable communication cannot be established. Since decentralized systems can’t take advantage of the techniques mentioned earlier due to their centralized nature,they accept the performance compromise imposed by the public Internet as a given.
In addition, block and transaction propagation in decentralized networks today is incentive incompatible as nodes that become aware of the information compete for the same payoffs. Babaioff etal. were the first to point this out for transaction propagation in Bitcoin. Using the success of the MIT team in the DARPA Network Challenge as an example, they showed that once mining rewards diminish, without additional incentives, it would be in the best interest of miners to keep transactions they learn about private with the hope to eventually mine and claim the fees originating from them. Abraham et al. pointed out that when a miner shared its mined block with its neighbour, the neighbour had an incentive to not propagate the block further and take advantage of the fact that it was amongst the first few miners who had learned about the block and get a head start in finding the next block1.
Marlin presents a secure way to enable decentralized systems to benefit from high-performance relay networks without compromizing decentralization. Marlin illustrates its incentive compatibility and resistance to multiple attack vectors. Its benefits include higher throughput for blockchain platforms, lower fees, faster finality and better performing decentralized cloud services.In addition, several other use cases like its exploitation in decentralized exchanges are not beyond imagination.
Token Sale & Economics
- China goes all in on #blockchain tech and we're tagging along! On 8th Nov, our CBO Nilotpal @M15Nil spoke on the p… https://t.co/VgTPZkLKWV
- Welcome to India, @harmonyprotocol @stse @nickwh8te @lijiang2087! We’re co-hosting the Blockchain & Payments meetu… https://t.co/OpPqPBxcHy
- We’re in Mumbai this weekend and @M15Nil will be speaking at @coindcx’s exclusive Unwind with Crypto event on 2nd a… https://t.co/v5majvdPPG
- 🎉Happy 11th Birthday, #bitcoin!🎉Still going strong! Did Satoshi Nakamoto know the scare they would end up giving… https://t.co/JBzOf0Xu0J
- Enjoyed meeting the community at @maticnetwork's first #Ethereum meetup series and talking about Marlin's technolog… https://t.co/xAREjwaIzG
- Something more for our community in China! 🇨🇳 An evaluation of Marlin Protocol on ChainNews, a leading media outle… https://t.co/5CmgIgO0p4
- Marlin making waves in #Korea 🐠 Definitely coming back for more! Here’s a recap of our visit to Korea Blockchain… https://t.co/lhKhetLsty
- The Game Oasis Hackathon Bengaluru wrapped up last week. Congratulations to all the participants and winners at t… https://t.co/K7UQwxdYls
- こんにちは/Hello Japan 🇯🇵 We’re at #devcon5 in Osaka! Our CEO, @siddutta95 will be attending the @BinanceX Dev… https://t.co/N0RmD6vsDm
- 你好/Hello, China 🇨🇳 "Breaking Speed Barriers" - check out @siddutta95’s feature interview on Block Beats, one of th… https://t.co/vQO14I5OiE