Hedera is a decentralized public network for you to make your digital world exactly as it should be – yours. Whether you’re a startup or enterprise, a creator or a consumer, Hedera goes beyond blockchain for developers to create the next era of fast, fair, and secure applications.
Problems & Solutions
Bitcoin pioneered decentralized infrastructure and Ethereum brought programmability. But earlier proof-of-work blockchains consume massive amounts of energy and process transactions slowly in order to achieve acceptable levels of security. Heavy bandwidth consumption by these technologies leads to expensive fees, even for a simple cryptocurrency transaction.
The Hedera proof-of-stake public network, powered by hashgraph consensus, achieves the highest-grade of security possible (ABFT), with blazing-fast transaction speeds and incredibly low bandwidth consumption. By combining high-throughput, low fees, and instant finality, Hedera leads the way for the future of public ledgers.
Features & Highlights
Fast - Achieve fast, low-latency transactions with guaranteed finality in seconds, not minutes or hours. Hedera is an order of magnitude faster than blockchain alternatives.
Fair - Count on fair access, timestamps, and transaction ordering that can't be manipulated by malicious nodes.
Secure - Deploy on a network with proven, best-in-class asynchronous Byzantine fault tolerant (ABFT) security that's resistant to DDoS and Sybil attacks.
Stable - Run on a reliable network governed by term-limited enterprises with no authorized forks, and the ability to meet global data regulations.
Token Sale & Economics
- Project website: https://www.hedera.com/
- Project whitepaper: https://www.hedera.com/hh-whitepaper-v2.0-300819.pdf
- Token sale start time: TBA
- Ticker: HBAR
- Token type: Own Wallet
- Total hard cap: $120,000,000
- Public sale token price: 1 HBAR = $0.12
Roadmap & Updates
- Phase I: 2017 - 2018
- Fundraising - Accredited investors and accredited crowdsale through SAFT
- Governing Council Member Recruitment - Leading, global companies across multiple sectors to govern the network, code base, set fees, and transaction costs
- Token Generation Event - 50 billion Hedera tokens generated and held in the Hedera wallet
- Phase II: 2018 - 2019
- Governing Council Legal Agreement Kick-off - Meet with prospective governing member teams regarding LLC agreements
- APIs and Education - Developers receive Hedera APIs for 3 services: cryptocurrency, smart contracts, and file storage. Developer enablement via Hedera developer portal
- Hedera18 Hackathon & Conference - Inaugural developer conference and decentralized hackathon to learn how to build dapps on the Hedera platform
- Wallet Software - Hedera releases its mobile wallet on iOS and Android to make it easier for developers to build game-changing decentralized applications
- Hedera Mainnet Early Access - Many developers can start building and running their decentralized applications on the Hedera mainnet
- Phase III: 2019 - 2020
- Token Program for Community Testing - Hedera Hashgraph community members earn tokens through a faucet program to test the network and to build dapps on the Hedera network; all community testing program members go through KYC / AML process
- Hedera Annual Assembly 2019 - Discuss Hedera’s progress in the market, share decentralized applications built on the platform, and hear from Enterprise partners
- Announce Innitial Governing Council Members - Several companies across different sectors and geographies
- Governing Council Nodes - First nodes in public clouds, transitioning to member hardware and data centers after best practice development
- Hedera Open Access - All developers can create accounts and build on the Hedera mainnet
- Hedera Token Release - SAFT holders receive their initial distribution of tokens and tokens can be bought, sold, and used by developers and users for API calls
- Open-Review Source Code - Hedera will open-review its source code, providing trust and transparency while inhibiting forking and the associated instability
Dr. Leemon Baird, Co-Founder and Chief Scientist. Leemon is the inventor of the hashgraph distributed consensus algorithm, and is the Co-Founder and Chief Scientist of Hedera. With over 20 years of technology and startup experience, he has held positions as a Professor of Computer Science at the US Air Force Academy and as a senior scientist in several labs. He has been the Co-Founder of several startups, including two identity-related startups, both of which were acquired. Leemon received his PhD in Computer Science from Carnegie Mellon University and has multiple patents and publications in peer-reviewed journals and conferences in computer security, machine learning, and mathematics.
Mance Harmon, Co-Founder and CEO. Mance is an experienced technology executive and entrepreneur with more than 20 years of strategic leadership experience in multi-national corporations, government agencies, and high-tech startups, and is Co-Founder and CEO of Hedera. His prior experience includes serving as the Head of Architecture and Labs at Ping Identity, Founder and CEO of two tech startups, the senior executive for product security at a $1.7B revenue organization, Program Manager for a very-large scale software program for the Missile Defense Agency, the Course Director for Cybersecurity at the US Air Force Academy, and research scientist in Machine Learning at Wright Laboratory. Mance received a MS in Computer Science from the University of Massachusetts and a BS in Computer Science from Mississippi State University.
Natalie Grunfeld Furman, General Counsel. Natalie was previously a senior associate at Paul Hastings LLP, where her practice focused on intellectual property, unfair competition, and rights of privacy and publicity, and is the General Counsel for Hedera. Prior to law school, she started her career in Silicon Valley, providing strategic advice to high tech startups. She was Director of Strategy and Business Development at an online group communication startup acquired by Yahoo! Inc. and Director of Business Development for a technology startup developing a global collaborative supply chain platform. Natalie received her BA in Anthropology with honors from Stanford University and her JD from Columbia University School of Law.
Christian Hasker, Chief Marketing Officer. Christian has two decades of experience in enterprise software in a variety of roles at startups and large companies, including marketing, product management, product marketing, and sales management, and is the Chief Marketing Officer for Hedera. He was previously the Vice-President of Marketing at DataStax, where he was responsible for developer education and open source Apache Cassandra community initiatives during a period of hyper-growth. A Brit by birth, Christian has degrees from the University of Manchester and the London College of Music.
Lionel Chocron, Chief Product Officer. Lionel is an experienced product executive, with over 20 years of experience bringing enterprise products to market and driving their adoption, and is the Chief Product Officer of Hedera. He joins from Oracle, where he was Vice President, Industry and Emerging Technology, and led their emerging technology (Blockchain, IoT, AI) solution efforts across industries. Prior to that, he was Vice President and General Manager at Cisco, where he co-launched, productized, and scaled Cisco’s fast-growing Internet of Things (IoT) business. He has previously held roles at A.T. Kearney, Bain & Company, and BNP Paribas. Lionel has an MBA from UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business, a Masters in Engineering from McGill University, and a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from Ecole des Mines.
Jordan Fried, Senior Vice-President, Business Development. Jordan is a DLT evangelist and self-professed crypto-capitalist, and is the Senior Vice-President of Business Development of Hedera. He was previously the Co-Founder and CEO of Buffered VPN, the fastest growing personal VPN service online, which was acquired in Q1 2017. Jordan is an investor in companies such as Hive.org and Buffer App and has been featured in Entrepreneur Magazine, Inc.co, Wired.com, Time Magazine, and Success.com.
Mehernosh (Nosh) Mody, Senior Vice-President, Engineering. Nosh brings 25 years of experience as an engineering manager and technology executive, and is the Senior Vice-President of Engineering of Hedera. He was previously the Director of R&D at Trend Micro TippingPoint, responsible for the development and innovation of TippingPoint Intrusion Prevention Systems. Prior to Trend Micro, he managed R&D at numerous startups, including Britestream Networks and Coretrace Corp. Nosh has an MBA from the University of Texas and a MS in Computer Science from the University of Massachusetts.
Atul Mahamuni, Senior Vice-President, Product. Atul has many years of experience in product management, and is the Senior Vice-President of Product of Hedera. He was previously Vice President of Blockchain SaaS Apps and Internet of Things (IoT) SaaS Apps, PaaS Platform at Oracle. Prior to that, he served in product management, strategy, and development roles at Cisco, Juniper Networks, and Nokia.
Nigel Clark, Senior Vice President, Industries and Partners. Nigel is a proven technology executive, having been a global Senior Vice President in two cloud software companies sold for a combined value of $1bn, and is the Senior Vice-President of Industries and Partners of Hedera. Previously, he was with Oracle where he led the creation and go-to-market of cross industry solutions anchored in Blockchain, IoT, and AI. Prior to Oracle, Nigel was with Accenture Digital (Mobility) where he led sales and consulting for the Austria, Switzerland, Germany mobility business as well heading the Products Industry mobility sales go-to-market across Europe, Africa and Latin America (EALA). Nigel earned his MA(Hons) Management from St Andrews University, Scotland and the Ecole Supérieure des Affaires, Grenoble, France.
Zenobia Godschalk, Senior Vice-President, Corporate Communications. Zenobia Godschalk has over 20 years experience in high tech PR and helping companies create and dominate new categories, and is the Senior Vice-President of Corporate Communications of Hedera. Previously, she was a sell-side analyst with investment bank Morgan Keegan, where she was part of The Wall Street Journal’s #1 Ranked Software Analyst team. Prior to this, she served as the head of corporate communications for Opsware Inc (NASDAQ: OPSW), founded by Marc Andreessen and Ben Horowitz, which was acquired by HP for $1.6B. Zenobia graduated from Stanford University with a BA in Economics and Psychology, minor in Industrial Engineering.
Edgar Seah, Head of Asia Pacific Region. Edgar is an angel investor in early-stage tech companies, and is the Head of the Asia Pacific Region in Business Development for Hedera. He was formerly Head of Asset Backed Trading and Syndication and Co-Head of Asset Backed Originations at Bank of America Merrill Lynch for Asia. After this, he lived in Ghana to launch Sponsors for Educational Opportunity Africa, a revenue generating non-profit leadership development program for young Africans. Edgar earned his BA at Carnegie Mellon University (Phi Beta Kappa).
Brett McDowell, Executive Director, Hedera Governing Council. Brett brings over 20 years of IT industry coalition experience, and is the Founding Executive Director and Vice Chair of the Hedera Governing Council. He has had founding executive roles at the Kantara Initiative, IDESG, DMARC.org, and FIDO Alliance, where he still serves as an advisor. In addition, he has extensive multi-stakeholder governance experience, having served on the board or advisory board of MAAWG, NCSA, StopBadWare, and PCI SSC, among other industry coalitions. Brett is a fellow at the UMASS Center for Digital Government, a member of the US Federal Reserve Bank's Mobile Payments Industry Working Group and a recipient of the 2019 Top 50 Tech Leaders award from InterCon.
Ken Anderson, Chief Developer Advocate. Ken is passionate about a distributed economy, and is the Chief Developer Advocate of Hedera. He is a serial entrepreneur, with 20 years of experience in system design and software architecture. He has built a team of award-winning engineers and consulted as interim-CTO for various companies during periods of restructuring. He was also the lead contributor to the TM Forum’s REST API design guidelines, now used throughout the multi-trillion global telecom industry. Ken graduated with a BBA in Management Information Systems from California State University and was an Intelligence Sergeant in the United States Army.
Best Innovation Group, Inc. - Best Innovation Group, Inc is a technology innovation and development company catering to the financial industry.
Blockchange Venture - Blockchange is an investment and research firm that is dedicated to blockchain technology and cryptocurrencies.
Helix Accelerator - Helix Accelerator, based in Hong Kong, is the first global accelerator to incubate projects building distributed applications exclusively on the Hedera hashgraph platform.
LaunchBadge - LaunchBadge is in the business of ensuring software development and maintenance success. As a consulting firm with business management, software engineering, and information architecture expertise, LaunchBadge partners with software companies to regain focus, avoid common software development & maintenance pitfalls, and incrementally generate revenue. LaunchBadge is headquartered in Citrus Heights, California.
Open Identity Exchange - OIX is a technology agnostic, non-profit trade organization of leaders from competing business sectors focused on building the volume and velocity of trusted transactions online. OIX enables members to expand existing identity services and serve adjacent markets. OIX operates the OIXnet trust registry, a global, authoritative registry of business, legal, and technical requirements needed to ensure market adoption and global interoperability.
OpenCrowd - OpenCrowd is a design and technology services company that is focused on developing the most advanced distributed ledger and machine learning applications in the market. For the past 12 years, OpenCrowd has been successfully delivering high-end applications for their clients with a focus in financial services. OpenCrowd is headquartered in New York City, New York.
Toptal - Toptal enables start-ups, businesses, and organizations to hire freelancers from a growing network of top talent in the world. The company has received coverage for being a completely virtual organization without any offices.
TxMQ - TxMQ is a 38 year old, full service enterprise IT solutions and staffing company that supports both large and mid-market businesses and government institutions throughout North America. The company’s subject matter experts deliver IT services and solutions to Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000 companies with a focus on middleware, data-architecture, and ERP space. TxMQ is headquartered in Amherst, New York.
VMS Software - VMS Software develops, sells, and supports innovative and advanced releases of OpenVMS, the most secure operating system on the planet. The company’s core motivation is to support and enable customers to run their mission-critical applications at the legendary uptime levels it is known for, at maximum performance levels, today and into the future. VMS Software is headquartered in Bolton, Massachusetts.
- Why are #dapp #developers so excited about @DragonglassMe? REST-based #APIs for all Transactions, Accounts and… https://t.co/mQpvWNUey9
- #Dallas, want to join a fast-growing company built around a revolutionary #technology? Hedera is just getting start… https://t.co/KQUE165C3k
- Is crypto just hype and scams or something real? Hedera Hashgraph's Co-founder, Dr. @leemonbaird describes what we'… https://t.co/cgi4Go9mZ9
- Join us monthly and learn about how to use Hedera network services, best #development practices, and hear from some… https://t.co/sQb4DozhwO
- Live now at https://t.co/vrd1WZaGKK
- Join us for our live stream, the Forkless Café, & get your weekly #DLT insights. Ask questions, leave comments & le… https://t.co/GbgPIuqjOr
- @malimujo @Ledger Hey Darth, Ledger support is coming soon. You can check wallet news for hbar here: https://t.co/2J9HHj86m2
- @unique_btc_lord @CryptoNewton @CryptoBoss1984 Hi, this FAQ might help: https://t.co/WzN1v3Yomx
- "@PowerTransition’s vision is not only a #future where individuals have control over their own #energy sources, but… https://t.co/Sw02WneB7p
- @d_eleye Hello, announcements around testing will be made when appropriate and ledger support is coming soon. You c… https://t.co/3cz8u3LyDn